Paul Reeves outlines some of the issues involved with viewing employees’ online profiles on social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, and how HR can manage the impact of this phenomenon.
Bullying and harassment
Managing employer access when recruiting
Managing employee access
Ownership of information
Protecting organisations and individuals
- Set out the parameters of internet usage (including downloads)
- The consequences for breach of any internet policy , including reference to other related policies e.g. equal opportunities, harassment and bullying
- Inform employees about the level of monitoring and the policy itself, including any changes
- Follow fair procedures in respect of any disciplinary action and apply the policy consistently
- Not be afraid to use information from social networking sites to deal with any misconduct, provided this is done appropriately.
Paul Reeves is a partner at law firm Stephenson Harwood.