Following Prince Harry’s recent exploits in LA and Kate Middleton’s revealing images in France, is it true that scandal and gossip motivate people to react?FACT: with headlines like this, the tabloids are sure to get higher newspaper sales and the web is inundated with google searches….. It is evidential that an interesting headline can provoke a reaction, but can the same theory be used to improve internal employee communications?
When HR teams need to communicate something important to employees (the launch of a new benefit, pension information or a flex window for instance), what approach should be taken? These sometimes dry subjects can easily be ‘livened up a bit’ to improve uptake and participation.
Alot of time and effort is being spent identifying and communicating via the right channels – email, SMS, web, direct mail, social media; so combined with an engaging and interesting headline or a thought provoking image, can we hit the spot?
Next time you are preparing your employee newsletter, desk drop or intranet update, think about how something fun could help you achieve the results you want. If we take our lead from the Royals, how about:
Top ten reasons to go to work naked:
- Your boss is always yelling, “I wanna see your butt in here by 8:00!”
- Take advantage of computer monitor radiation to work on your tan.
- It’s an inventive way to finally meet that hunk in Human Resources.
- “I”d love to chip in, but I left my wallet in my trousers.“
- To stop those creepy guys in Marketing from looking down your blouse.
- You want to see if it feels like the recurring dream you’ve been having.
- People stop stealing your pens after they”ve seen where you keep them.
- Diverts attention from the fact that you also came to work drunk.
- Gives “bad hair day” a whole new meaning.
- No one steals your chair.
After all, naked Calendar Girls have raised over £2 million for Leukemia Research… what impact could some cheeky (excuse the pun) internal communications have on open rates and the uptake of your next benefits programme?