The most recent Ochre House HR Network meeting – a think tank of over 650 senior HR figures from employers including BT, Fujitsu and Vodafone – held in Munich in December, brought to light some very interesting issues.
We discovered that while practically all large companies now believe that a strategic approach to workforce planning is essential, only around a fifth have successfully embraced the concept.
And while the majority of the rest are intending to introduce strategic workforce planning over the coming year, what they really seem to be talking about is relatively unsophisticated resource planning.
- A plan which maintains focus on strategy
- A year by year action plan that executes that strategy
- Avoidance of bad tactical decisions which could result in long term problems
- A degree of preparedness for unforeseen situations
- The securing of core jobs and key skills.