The education system’s failure to adapt to employers’ requirements for soft skills rather than technical expertise among entry-level job candidates means that many young people are underequipped for today’s world of work.
- Involving employers and trade unions more closely in designing and providing education and training programmes
- Introducing a levy on employers to boost their contribution to staff learning in particular sectors or regions
- Improving the quality of learning outcomes by shifting the focus from qualifications-based education to skills-oriented learning
- Making it easier for skilled workers to move around inside their own country and across international borders
- Change tax and benefit systems to ensure that work pays.