It is rare for HR to find that they are involved in the procurement of software. That tends to be the domain of IT, as any software that a company decides to purchase would need technical support and have to be able to ‘talk’ to the existing legacy infrastructure. Software can also seem quite daunting for non techie types – code is a completely different language.
The term ‘cloud’, however, is disrupting technology as we know it. Most of us use the cloud in some sense in our personal lives – if you have Apple technology, you use the iCloud. If you like editing your holiday photos on Photoshop, you’ve probably paid the monthly subscription fee to Adobe’s Creative Cloud. The cloud is something that HR can absolutely be involved in, and it’s helped create specific HR software that can benefit all kinds of HR processes, including everything from payroll to recording absence. So why should you choose cloud based HR software? Because it can bring huge value to your business.
Below we have created a list of reasons HR should be investing in HR software.
What are the benefits of cloud based HR Software?
- Ease of use and flexibility– employees can access applications on the move via the web and the managers can respond virtually; this echoes how people want to work nowadays.
- No need to spend millions– infrastructure can be expensive. Instead you simply rent the cloud application from the provider, which means it is an operational investment rather than a capital investment on the balance sheet. It also means the software can be switched on and off as required.
- Speed of set up and configuration – because this is a hosted technology that is accessed independently via the web, it can be set up and configured quickly and simply, without lengthy integration.
- No maintenance costs– we hear about legacy technology which sits in many organisations and is out of date. The cost of updating or maintaining it is huge. With cloud based HR software it is the responsibility of the software provider to offer the most up to date version of the software as part of the package.
- Support offered via the provider– no additional pressure on your IT department because the software is independent and support is provided directly.
- Security– Most UK providers of cloud based HR software use specialist hosting providers in the UK who have security and back up procedures that are far more secure than any internally hosted software. Data is not housed on laptops which can be left on trains; it is securely backed up and accessed on demand via the web.
- Real time data– the ability to access your HR data in real time means you can add far greater value as an HR professional. This allows you to be more proactive within your organisation. Compared to paper based processes, this can be life changing!
There are clearly many advantages to using cloud software. It offers a flexible and responsive solution to your HR requirements and will allow you as an HR practitioner to stop shuffling paper and focus on doing what you do best!
So if you’re not already using cloud based HR software… what are you waiting for?