As we advise clients on mental health and wellbeing initiatives, it’s important to us that our own house is in order too. Our commitment started in early 2018 when championing the support of mental health in the workplace began in earnest. The senior team at The Health Insurance Group fully bought into the concept and we now run multiple holistic initiatives.
It kicked off with Mind running mental health training for 17 managers and their team leaders in March 2018. Following this, the company worked closely with employees who wanted to share their own mental health journeys with others. Focus groups were then run to see how to do more, and from this, a number of workshops have been run throughout the company, covering a range of health and wellbeing topics including stress.
Other initiatives we provided to support the wellbeing of our workforce includes:
- Monthly committees – called ‘Your Voice’, this created a forum for employees to discuss any issues pertinent to their working life, from operational matters to charity events to physical and mental health and wellbeing initiatives.
- Health kiosks – annually held on site, these provide employees with the opportunity to stay on top of their physical wellbeing. Providing a snapshot of physical health – such as monitoring BMI and blood pressure – it tackles potential hidden health concerns. As physical and mental health are inextricably linked, this holistic approach supports mental health too.
- Employee benefits – including company-funded group life assurance, private medical insurance and employee assistance programmes – supporting financial, physical and mental wellbeing.
- Mental health training – the business is hosting another mental health training day for a further 16 employees in May – primarily managers and sales staff – so 13% of its overall workforce will have been trained, enabling them to provide first aid and support for people experiencing a problem.
- Wellbeing Ethos – this has been developed, to publicise the company’s commitment to supporting mental health.
As part of our continued efforts, the company has been given Silver in Mind’s Workplace Wellbeing Awards, which recognises the business as making demonstrable achievements in promoting staff mental health. From ensuring staff have a good work/life balance, to creating an open dialogue in the business so employees feel better understood, we remain committed to supporting the mental wellbeing of our people.