With the weather expected to turn increasingly wintry over the weekend, HR departments must prepare themselves by ensuring that suitable staff policies in place, ACAS has advised.
- Clarify to employees that they are not automatically entitled to pay if they are unable to get into work because of adverse conditions
- Devise a clear policy so that staff know what you expect from them in terms of getting to work
- Be flexible where possible, for example, by temporarily agreeing changes to working hours with employees in order to minimise disruption
- Use IT to keep the business running if possible, for instance, by enabling staff to work from home
- Plan ahead to avoid conflict as a result of misunderstandings.
- Ensure staff know that they have to contact work on the first day they are off sick and that work interviews will be held routinely when they return
- Have workers fill in a self-certification form explaining the reason why they were off for less than seven days or make sure they get a Statement of Fitness for Work or ‘fit note’ from their GP if off work for longer.